Colorado Lost Title or Donated Bond

Instantly obtain a lost title bond

What is a State of Colorado lost title bond or donated bond?

The State of Colorado’s lost title or donated bond protects against any defect in title due to incorrect or incomplete evidence of ownership.

Who needs this bond?

A vehicle owner who has received incorrect or incomplete evidence of ownership or has lost the evidence of ownership of a vehicle has the option of using the bonded title procedure to transfer ownership.

What is the amount of the bond?

The State of Colorado requires a surety bond in an amount no less than twice the reasonable reasonable value of the vehicle. The reasonable value of the vehicle can be determined by: price guide books, if the vehicle is newer than seven years old; computerized valuation services; or a licensed Colorado automotive dealer. The appraisal must be for the current condition of the motor vehicle at the time of filing.

When using a licensed Colorado automotive dealer for the appraisal, if the valuation is not on the dealer’s letterhead, the document must be notarized or signed under penalty of perjury. The dealer’s license number must also be present in a valuation from a licensed Colorado automotive dealer along with being signed and dated. The dealership may perform its own appraisal when bonding for title in their name. A certified appraisal also meets the licensed Colorado automotive dealer appraisal requirements for valuation.

Manufactured home values must be established using the actual value determined by the County Assessor’s records.

For more information on Colorado’s lost title or donated bond requirements, visit the State of Colorado’s website.

What is the process to obtain the bond?

Colonial offers the direct and digital way to obtain a lost title/donated bond. We are the insurance company — which means no agent, no broker, and no middleman. The steps are easy — get a quote online, fill out your information, and enter your payment method. Your bond will be ready for e-file or print instantly. It’s that simple!

What does the bond cost?

A lost title/donated bond is reasonably priced and easy to obtain. You may notice that with other insurance agents and middlemen, your premium rate will fluctuate and include additional hidden fees and costs. Colonial offers our lowest possible rate. Premium is based on the amount of the bond required by the State of Colorado Department of Revenue Division of Motor Vehicles.

Does it matter where I get the bond?

It is important to understand how surety bonds work, and who is the insurance company issuing your bonds. It is easy to obtain a lost title/donated bond when you deal directly with a quality insurance company licensed to write surety bonds. Colonial is an A (Excellent) rated insurance company by A.M. Best that has been incorporated since 1930. We are Treasury listed, and licensed and admitted in all U.S. states and territories.