Connecticut Lost Title or Donated Bond

Instantly obtain a lost title bond

What is a State of Connecticut lost title bond or donated bond?

The State of Connecticut’s lost title or donated bond protects against any defect in title due to incorrect or incomplete evidence of ownership.

Who needs this bond?

A vehicle owner who has received incorrect or incomplete evidence of ownership or has lost the evidence of ownership of a vehicle has the option of using the bonded title procedure to transfer ownership.

What is the amount of the bond?

The State of Connecticut requires a surety bond in the amount of twice the value of the vehicle as determined by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles and conditioned to indemnify any prior owner and lienholder and any subsequent purchaser of the vehicle or person acquiring a security interest in the vehicle, and their respective successors in interest, against any expense, loss, or damage, including reasonable attorney’s fees, by reason of the issuance of title of the vehicle or due to any defect or undisclosed security interest in the right, title, or interest of the title applicant in and to the vehicle.

For more information on Connecticut’s lost title or donated bond requirements, visit the Connecticut General Assembly site  and the Connecticut DMV site.

What is the process to obtain the bond?

Colonial offers the direct and digital way to obtain a lost title/donated bond. We are the insurance company — which means no agent, no broker, and no middleman. The steps are easy — get a quote online, fill out your information, and enter your payment method. Your bond will be ready for e-file or print instantly. It’s that simple!

What does the bond cost?

A lost title/donated bond is reasonably priced and easy to obtain. You may notice that with other insurance agents and middlemen, your premium rate will fluctuate and include additional hidden fees and costs. Colonial offers our lowest possible rate. Premium is based on the amount of the bond required by the State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles.

Does it matter where I get the bond?

It is important to understand how surety bonds work, and who is the insurance company issuing your bonds. It is easy to obtain a lost title/donated bond when you deal directly with a quality insurance company licensed to write surety bonds. Colonial is an A (Excellent) rated insurance company by A.M. Best that has been incorporated since 1930. We are Treasury listed, and licensed and admitted in all U.S. states and territories.