Massachusetts Lost Title or Donated Bond

Instantly obtain a lost title bond

What is a State of Massachusetts lost title bond or donated bond?

The State of Massachusetts’ lost title or donated bond protects against any defect in title due to incorrect or incomplete evidence of ownership. In Massachusetts, a vehicle is considered undocumented and not titled when the purchaser does not possess all of the documents required to transfer ownership and apply for a certificate of title.

Who needs this bond?

A vehicle owner who has received incorrect or incomplete evidence of ownership or has lost the evidence of ownership of a vehicle has the option of using the bonded title procedure to transfer ownership.

The customer may submit the following to the RMV to obtain approval for bonding: a notarized affidavit attesting to the complete history of the vehicle as known including model, year, make, and VIN; a completed visual inspection of VIN; and any other documentation pertaining to the transfer of ownership of the vehicle.

What is the amount of the bond?

The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles can register and title an undocumented vehicle at its discretion. As a condition of issuing a certificate of title for an undocumented vehicle, the RMV can require a customer to file a bond in an amount equal to 1.5 times the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) clean trade-in value of the undocumented vehicle.

For more information on Massachusetts’ lost title or donated bond requirements, visit the State of Massachusetts’ website.

What is the process to obtain the bond?

Colonial offers the direct and digital way to obtain a lost title/donated bond. We are the insurance company — which means no agent, no broker, and no middleman. The steps are easy — get a quote online, fill out your information, and enter your payment method. Your bond will be ready for print instantly. It’s that simple!

What does the bond cost?

A lost title/donated bond is reasonably priced and easy to obtain. You may notice that with other insurance agents and middlemen, your premium rate will fluctuate and include additional hidden fees and costs. Colonial offers our lowest possible rate. Premium is based on the amount of the bond required by the State of Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Does it matter where I get the bond?

It is important to understand how surety bonds work, and who is the insurance company issuing your bonds. It is easy to obtain a lost title/donated bond when you deal directly with a quality insurance company licensed to write surety bonds. Colonial is an A (Excellent) rated insurance company by A.M. Best that has been incorporated since 1930. We are Treasury listed, and licensed and admitted in all U.S. states and territories.