Court Bonds

Conservatorship in Michigan for Adults Who Become Disabled


Formerly-competent adults in the State of Michigan who lose the ability to take care of themselves properly are often appointed conservators or guardians to care of the incapacitated person and their property.

The conservator is appointed to make decisions for that incapacitated person. The conservator takes care of the property while a guardian takes care of the personal needs of the incapacitated. Someone can be appointed both conservator and guardian for a single person.

A petitioner has to petition at the probate court to start a probate proceeding. The prospective conservator is the respondent in said petition. The court then investigates to determine whether the individual requires a court appointed attorney, and then the judge determines whether conservatorship is necessary. Click here to learn more.

The conservator’s responsibilities do not begin until the appointed conservator files a Conservator Surety Bond as directed by the court. The amount of the conservator bond can vary from state to state. Some states outline minimum bonding quantities, others use a formula to calculate the final amount, and some leave the amount up to the discretion of the court in the state.

Obtain a Surety Bond for Conservatorship

Colonial Surety allws conservators to get their bond online instantly. With our products, you never have to worry about hidden fees, agents or brokers. We make the bonding process straightforward and easy for our customers to use. Use our online portal to get your quote, fill in your information accordingly, satisfy any underwriting requirements, and put in your method of payment. You will then be able to e-file or print your bond. It’s that simple! Contact us today to get your conservatorship bond today.