License & Permit Bonds

How to Get Your Dental License in California


If you recent graduated from university with your DDS, your next step most likely is to obtain licensure as a dentist in the Golden State.  There are three ways you can obtain your license.

The first is licensure by residency. To commence your journey, you must complete an accredited AEGD or GBR and obtain a license to officially practice in California. However, the downside to this path is you are essentially limiting your arena of practice in the state that accept the completion of residency substituting for a regional exam.

The second is licensure by credential. A dentist is able to obtain a dentist license if they practice dentistry full-time for a minimum of five years of the last seven years in another state.

The third is to get licensure by exam. The state of California accepts the Western Regional Board Exam or WREB. If you pass this exam, you have the approval to practice dentistry in multiple states. Once you receive your passing score, you must take the Dental Board of California Law and Ethics exam. To apply for this exam, you must fill out the WREB applicant form found on the DBC website.

To secure your position as a dentist, you must obtain a dentists license bond from an insurance company. Colonial Surety Company allows you to obtain your bond in minutes online.

Purchase License and Permit Bonds Online

Colonial Surety Company simplifies the process of obtaining insurance and bonds. We are licensed in all fifty states and U.S. territories and have thrived in the insurance industry since 1930, helping clients obtain their bonds at the click of a mouse. Contact us today to get your license and permit bond online.