Court Bonds

Guardianship in Michigan for Adults Who Become Disabled


Adults who were formerly competent but are now disabled or “incapacitated,” meaning they lose the ability to take care of themselves, may need to have a guardian appointed to make informed decisions for them. Guardians in the State of Michigan take care of an incapacitated adult’s needs and can limit the incapacitated person’s right to handle their own matters.

Guardians for formerly competent adults who are now incapacitated are appointed by probate courts at the request of a petitioner. A hearing is then held to consider this request. To learn more, click here.

A court may require a guardian to purchase a Guardianship Surety Bond to protect the incapacitated person’s interests and affairs in accordance with State of Michigan statutes.

So where can you easily purchase a guardianship surety bond?

Colonial offers the direct and digital way to obtain guardianship surety bonds. We are the insurance company — which means no agent, no broker, and no middleman. We make it easy to obtain your court bond instantly. The steps are easy — get a quote online, fill out your information, satisfy underwriting requirements, and enter your payment method. Print or e-file your bond from your office. It’s that simple!