Court Bonds

The Probate Process With a Will


When a person dies, they may or may not die with a last will and testament. When someone dies without a will, or intestate, property is distributed according to state probate law. However, when someone dies with a will, property is passed to those who the will designates to receive it.

A probate court makes a determination as to whether a will is valid if someone contests a will’s validity. Regardless of which state you’re in, however, the deceased’s surviving spouse is entitled to at least some share of the deceased’s property. This surviving spouse’s elective share amount varies by state. In community property states, barring a distinct agreement, one half of the property earned by the couple during marriage belongs to the spouse regardless of what the will states. The will is able to then dictate how the decedent’s share of that community property is able to be distributed. Learn more at

When there is a will, a court can appoint an executor, administrator, or personal representative to represent the estate and handle its administration. The court may require this person to obtain a surety bond to protect the interests of the estate and its beneficiaries in accordance with state law.

Where can you purchase instant probate surety bonds?

Colonial Surety offers the direct and digital way to obtain probate bonds, also known as estate bondspersonal representative bonds, administrator bonds, and executor bonds. We are the insurance company — which means no agent, no broker, and no middleman. We make it easy to obtain your bond instantly. The steps are easy — get a quote online, fill out your information, satisfy underwriting requirements, and enter your payment method. Print or e-file your bond from your office. It’s that simple!