Court Bonds

What is a Court Bond and How Do You Get One?


Court bonds are surety bonds required to pursue an action in a court of law. The term “court bond” is actually an umbrella term encompassing a multitude of different bonds found in the court system. There are generally two types of court bonds: judicial and fiduciary. Judicial bonds are court bonds utilized in civil court cases that safeguard against a loss from a court ruling. However, it’s important to note that Colonial Surety does not specialize in judicial bonds dealing with bail or criminal court.

We do offer fiduciary bonds, the second kind of court bond. To understand fiduciary bonds, you must know who a fiduciary is. A fiduciary is an individual who a court appoints  in connection with an estate or guardianship. Fiduciary bonds, also known as probate bonds, guarantee that the fiduciary will properly perform his duties in connection with the assets of the estate or guardianship. Fiduciaries are appointed by surrogate and probate courts as trustees, conservators, executors, guardians, personal representatives, and administrators. We offer the following court bonds:

Appeal and Supersedeas Bonds. An appeal bond, known also as a supersedeas bond, is required by the losing party of a court case to secure their right to appeal and stay a judgement.

Attachment Bonds. An attachment bond is required by the court when a creditor has legal grounds for taking legal custody of a debtor’s property prior to a full trial.

Conservator Bonds. Conservators are chosen to help with the financial needs of a minor, disabled, or elderly person could need this bond in order to safeguard the affairs and interests of the ward in compliance with state law.

Estate Bonds. Estate bonds, also called fiduciary bonds, probate bonds, personal representative bonds, administrator bonds and executor bonds, are needed to protect the interests of an estate and its beneficiaries in compliance with state law.

Guardianship Bonds. Guardians are chosen to help with financial needs of a minor, disabled, or elderly individual. Guardians may need a guardianship bond to make sure they act in the best interest of the ward while abiding by state law.

Injunction Bonds/Temporary Restraining Order Bonds. When a party requests a court restrain or otherwise enjoin another party, injunction bonds are needed. This bond could be required when the injunction order is a permanent injunction, preliminary injunction, or temporary restraining order.

Referee Bonds. Referees are people selected by the court to sell real estate and various other assets at issue in a litigation and may need a referee bond to maintain the referee’s obligation per state law.

Receiver Bonds. A Receiver, or person appointed to collect property, assets, and control of a business pending final result of a lawsuit, may need to obtain a receiver bond to meet state obligations

Replevin Bonds. When it’s determined a party can take custody of a property from another person prior to a full trial, replevin bonds are needed. During a replevin action, the plaintiff maintains entitlement or ownership to possession of the property.

Trustee Bonds. A Trustee bond safeguards the interests of the trust beneficiaries to make sure the trustee sufficiently performs the assigned duties to the recipients.

VA Fiduciary Bonds. These bonds protect beneficiaries if a fiduciary misuses funds or commits fraud. A VA Fiduciary is an entity or person chosen by the Veterans Administration to collect VA funds on behalf of a beneficiary.

Obtain Court Bonds Instantly Online

Colonial Surety offers an easier way to obtain court bonds. Visit our website and fill out our online form to be able to print or e-file your bond in as little as ten minutes. Contact us today to learn more about court and fiduciary bonds.