Court Bonds

How to Appeal to the Appellate Division in New York


Sometimes a case ruled on by the New York Supreme Court does not turn out the way you wanted. You have your right to appeal to the New York Appellate Division of the Supreme Court but how exactly do you do that?

First, to take an appeal, you have to file and serve the notice of appeal. The notice should be filed with the Clerk of the Court in which the action was commenced. You generally have thirty days to take an appeal; these days begin to run upon service of the underlying order with notice of entry.

You then have to perfect the appeal by filing the original record or appendix, five copies thereof, an original and five copies of a brief, all exhibits, and proof of service of the record and brief. You also must pay the $315 filing fee. Click here to learn more.

Don’t forget that in order to appeal, you also need to purchase an appeal or supersedeas bond in the amount directed by the court. This bond is required to secure the right to appeal and stay a judgment.

Where can you easily purchase an appeal or supersedeas bond?

Colonial Surety offers the direct and digital way to obtain an  appeal or supersedeas bond. We are the insurance company — which means no agent, no broker, and no middleman. We make it easy to obtain your bond instantly. The steps are easy — get a quote online, fill out your information, satisfy underwriting requirements, and enter your payment method. Print or e-file your bond from your office. It’s that simple!