License & Permit Bonds

How to Become a Registered Investment Advisor


A Registered Investment Advisor is an individual or company engaged in the investment advisory business. But how do you actually become a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA)?

In order to become a Registered Investment Advisor, you have to register with either the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as an investment adviser or investment adviser representative, or be sponsored by a broker-dealer and become a licensed registered representative under FINRA.

You have to pass the Series 65 Uniform Investment Advisor Law exam administered by FINRA, which covers federal securities law and other topics related to investment advising. Next you have to register with the SEC or with the states in which you intend to do business if you want to provide investment advice or asset management services primarily.

Many states require RIAs to obtain an RIA surety bond.

Learn more about how to become an RIA.

So where can you easily purchase an RIA surety bond?

Colonial offers the direct and digital way to obtain an RIA surety bond. We are the insurance company — which means no agent, no broker, and no middleman. The steps are easy — get a quote online, fill out your information, and enter your payment method. Your bond will be ready to print instantly. It’s that simple!

Colonial offers you the ability to purchase an I-BOND®. This is a direct issuance of surety and fidelity bonds online instantly.