Court Bonds

Options for Appealing in California


When you are faced with a civil judgment against you in California, you have a number of options to fight that judgment. Appeals are the best option in most cases, but there are other methods to fight the verdict against you. You may be able to file a motion to fix, change, or cancel the adverse trial court judgment.

One method you can utilize is to file a motion to set aside or vacate a judgment against you but you usually have to meet very specific requirements in order to receive this method of relief. A motion for reconsideration is another possibility where there are new facts, circumstances, or law for the court to consider. Applications for renewal are another possibility. These are where a party who made a motion that was refused asks to have their order granted if there are new facts, circumstances, or law to consider. If there are issues of fact or law after a trial decision due to jury misconduct, irregularities, insufficient evidence, irregularities requiring a new trial for fairness, or excessive or inadequate damages, a motion for a new trial is another possibility.

An appeal is likely the best and most straightforward option in most circumstances, however. In order to appeal a case in California, you need to obtain an appeal or supersedeas surety bond in order to stay execution of the lower court judgment and secure your right to appeal.

Where can you easily purchase an appeal or supersedeas bond?

Colonial Surety offers the direct and digital way to obtain an appeal or supersedeas bond. We are the insurance company — which means no agent, no broker, and no middleman. We make it easy to obtain your bond instantly. The steps are easy — get a quote online, fill out your information, satisfy underwriting requirements, and enter your payment method. Print or e-file your bond from your office. It’s that simple!