The American Council of Engineering Companies has recognized New York City’s Moynihan Train Hall for “most outstanding engineering effort” of 2021. Located across 8th Avenue from the infamously dingy Penn Station, Moynihan Train Hall beautifully used the original steel tresses of the 100 year old post office building it sits inside.
Reimagining and Repurposing
Summing up Moynihan Train Hall, Gotham To Go explains: “The 255,000-square-foot, $1.6 billion project transformed the more than 100-year-old James A. Farley Post Office Building into a modern, world-class facility that dramatically upgrades and redesigns America’s busiest transit hub, increasing the existing Penn Station rail complex’s concourse space by 50 percent.” It’s also beautiful—and uplifting: out of 195 entries from around the world, the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) awarded Moynihan Train Hall the Grand Conceptor Award.
As ACEC President and CEO Linda Bauer Darr observed: “Sometimes, it is unnecessary to tear it all down to create something new…The Moynihan Train Hall project by Severud Associates breathed new life into a piece of New York City’s rich architectural history and designed a new gateway into the city that will awe and inspire well into the future.” According to Construction Dive:
Severud Associates of New York City engineered Moynihan Train Hall, and a joint venture composed of Related Cos., Vornado Realty Trust and Skanska USA built the megaproject. It expands the 255,000-square-foot Penn Station across Eighth Avenue, and features a towering arched skylight roof “creatively supported by original but previously hidden giant 150-foot-long steel trusses…” The project also entailed new station entrances, an expanded West End Concourse and the intermodal Midblock Hall. It’s part of Amtrak’s $24 billion Gateway Program, a rail-related capital initiative to expand capacity along the Northeast Corridor.
Thinking expansively about the possibilities awaiting your construction business? Let Colonial Surety help you make more happen. We’ve made bonding easier—and more confidential than ever. Obtain, manage and monitor needed bid, performance and payment bonds faster then ever. Once approved for The Partnership Account® with Colonial, you’ll:
- Use your private Owner’s Dashboard® for a personal window into your underwriting profile and access your free Dun and Bradstreet scores
- Access a powerful online surety management system to issue bid bonds, order performance, and payment bonds, update work in progress, check your current and aggregate limits, view open and closed bid and performance bonds, and more.
- Clearly see your bonding limits, and always have direct access to our underwriter if you need the excess capacity to bid on a job.
- Protect the confidentiality of your bids—no one’s in the middle when you do it yourself!
Nice To Know: Engineering Excellence
Though the American Council of Engineering Companies awarded the top prize of the year to Moynihan Train Hall, 15 other builds received Engineering Excellence Awards. As Construction Dive reports, these included:
- The Pavilion at Penn Medicine, Philadelphia
- Hernando de Soto Bridge emergency repairs, Memphis, Tennessee
- Sofi Stadium, Inglewood, California
- Rainier Square, Seattle
- Little Island at Hudson River Park, New York City
- Rodney Cook Sr. Park at Vine City, Atlanta, Georgia
- Rockefeller Refuge Gulf Shoreline Restoration Project, Grand Chenier, Louisiana
- Lick Run Valley Conveyance System and Greenway, Cincinnati, Ohio
Middle Harbor, Long Beach, California
- Mid-Coast Trolley Extension Project, San Diego, California
- International Gateway Bridge, Orange County, California
- Northgate Link Extension, Seattle, Washington
- Mason Mega Rail Project in Garden City, Georgia
- Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle, Washington
- Pettit Creek Lake Weir, Blaine County, Idaho
Much is possible—and successful builders everywhere in the country are getting an edge—and a surety line of credit in writing—with The Partnership Account for Contractors® from Colonial Surety. As a direct underwriter of bonds based on the strength of financial statements, we give builders power of attorney to issue their own bid bonds. Plus, we provide a rich array of complimentary services, including: direct access to performance and payment bonds on a customized dashboard; real time tracking of bids and work on hand—and immediate access to Colonial’s lead underwriter as new opportunities emerge.
Speed and service? It’s true. Complete the brief pre-qualification for your written surety-line of credit and The Partnership Account® services today—and receive, for free, Dun & Bradstreet scores. Pre-Qualify and Get Free Scores Here.
Founded in 1930, Colonial Surety Company is a leading direct seller and writer of surety bonds and insurance products across the USA. Colonial is rated “A Excellent” by A.M. Best Company and U.S. Treasury listed.