Contract Surety

Building a Seawall: Charleston’s Plan


Plans are progressing on a sea wall needed to protect Charleston’s downtown area against storm surge and rising sea levels. Recent adjustments by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers contain both improvements and budget trims.

$1.1 Billion Peninsula Sea Wall

According to CHS Today, 35% of the cost will be paid by The City of Charleston, with the federal government paying the other 65%. The return on investment is estimated at $10.20 for every $1 spent. Highlights of the updated plan include removal of a rock jetty; the addition of “living shorelines” such as oyster reefs along the westside; the decrease of wetland impacts (from 111 to 35 acres); and $50 million in aesthetic adjustments “to better incorporate the sea wall into historic Charleston.”

With a swell of public works poised for action across the country. Why not pre-qualify for a surety line of credit from Colonial Surety Company? Just complete our quick Pre-Qualifying App Here. You’ll immediately receive your free Dun and Bradstreet financial scores. After pre-qualifying, we’ll ask for additional information so that we can approve you for The Partnership Account® services—including a surety single and aggregate line of credit—which you will have in writing! Once you are armed with The Partnership Account® you can:


  • Issue your own bid bonds online
  • Order payment and performance bonds online
  • Obtain your surety line of credit in writing
  • Privately view your underwriting profile from your Owner’s Dashboard®
  • Gain security that no one ever sees your bid
  • Never miss a bid again


Yes, Partnership Account® Services Please!


Comprehensive Strategies


According to the US Army Corps of Engineers, the coast coastal storm risks to the Charleston Peninsula have been under investigation since 2018, with the goal of reducing risks to human life, preserving Charleston’s economy and strengthening community resiliency against coastal storms. Recent updates to the plan reflect the public and agency feedback on the preliminary plan. In addition to the Sea Wall, the City of Charleston has undertaken other flood reduction strategies, including:  “rehabilitation of Low Battery Wall, the Dutch Dialogues and major drainage projects.”


Strategic building efforts to address environmental concerns as well as transportation needs are underway across the country. For example, many cities and states are creating new transit connections for walkers, bikers and rail riders. Efforts to better protect and use downtown waterfronts are also taking off.  Illinois is thinking big with a $45 billion rebuilding strategy. Modernizing airports? That’s on the docket around the country too! Don’t find yourself shuffling around the old-fashioned way when the bid bond is due on that project You want to win. Let’s get you ready now with The Partnership Account®  from Colonial Surety Company.

Come on and Pre-Qualify for Your Surety Line of Credit Today.

Hurry, You Could Be Bidding Now!

Colonial Surety Company is built on reliability, affordability and dependability. Founded in 1930, we have proven long-term financial stability; were licensed in every single state in the U.S.; we are listed by the U.S. Treasury as an approved surety; and were rated A” Excellent by A.M. Best – an accolade of which we are extremely proud. Lets Partner!